Bun cha, pork meatballs, vermicelli noodles
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
Peanut and shallot mix
Long red chilli
Allergens: Garlic, onion, nuts (peanuts). Sauce may contain shellfish
Pantry staples: Cooking oil, white sugar
Specialised equipment: Heat proof bowl
1. Prepare the vegetables: Wash all the vegetables. Half the cucumber and slice thinly on the diagonal. Cut the carrot into matchstick size pieces. Slice the radishes into rounds. Separate the lettuce leaves. Pick the mint leaves. Crush or finely chop the garlic. Finely chop the chilli.
2. Make the dressing (nuoc cham): Combine a pinch of the garlic, the fish sauce, the rice vinegar, one tablespoon per person of sugar and two tablespoons per person of water in a bowl. Stir well to dissolve the sugar. Add chilli to taste.
3. Soak the vermicelli: Place the vermicelli noodles in a bowl. Cover with boiling water, leave for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under running water. Season the noodles with a little nuoc cham.
4. Cook the meatballs: Place the pork mince, remaining garlic, one teaspoon of the nuoc cham per person and a pinch of sugar in a bowl and mix well. Using wet hands, roll the meatballs into five balls per person, flatten slightly. Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the meatballs for 8 minutes, or until cooked through and well browned.
5. Make the salad: Combine the cucumber, carrot, spring onion, radish and Vietnamese mint with a little of the nuoc cham in a bowl. Mix well.
6. To serve: Divide the noodles between the serving bowls. Top the noodles with the meatballs, salad, lettuce, peanut and shallot mix and remaining nuoc cham.