Beetroot, goats cheese & Puy lentil salad
DOWNLOADABLE RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
Dijon mustard dressing
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil, salt
ALLERGENS: Onion, garlic, lactose
SPECIALISED EQUIPMENT: Steamer
1. Prepare the vegetables: Wash the vegetables. Finely chop the onions. Finely chop the carrots. Cut the tomatoes into wedges. Thinly slice the pears. Thinly slice the garlic. Peel the beetroots and cut into wedges. Pick the leaves from the parsley.
2. Cook the lentils and beetroots: Heat a splash of oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onions and carrots. Cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the lentils, toast for 30 seconds, then add ½ a cup of water per person. The lentils should be just covered by the liquid. Reduce heat to low. Add more water during the cooking process, if needed.
Put the beetroots in a steamer and place over the lentils. Cook the lentils and beetroot, covered, for 15 minutes or until the beetroots are tender. Remove the steamer with the beetroots and continue to cook the lentils, uncovered, for another 10 minutes or until they are soft. Add water if required. The lentils should absorb all the liquid by the end of the cooking time. Season to taste.
3. Glaze the beetroots: Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the beetroots, garlic and butter. Cook for 2 minutes, spooning the butter over the beetroot until they are glazed. Season to taste.
4. Make the salad: Combine the lentils, tomatoes, parsley and the dijon mustard dressing.
5. To serve: Divide the lentil salad, pears, beetroots and goat cheese between serving plates.