Turkish stuffed eggplant with green rice & garlic sauce
FULL METHOD & RECIPE CARD AVAILABLE BELOW.
READY IN: 30 MINS
Turkish pepper flakes
Green bullhorn chilli
Allergens: Onion, garlic, lactose
Pantry staples: Cooking oil, salt, vinegar (white, white wine or red wine)
Specialised equipment: Fitted lid for saucepan or frying pan
Note: Bullhorn peppers are used throughout Turkey
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash the vegetables. Thinly slice the red onions. Thinly slice the bullhorn peppers. Thinly slice the garlic. Finely chop the spring onions. Roughly chop the parsley. Cut a slit from top to base of the eggplant; be careful not to cut right through.
2. Cook the filling: Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the bullhorn peppers, garlic and half of the onions and cook for 5 minutes or until very soft. Reduce the heat and add ¾ of the tomato polpa. Cover and continue to cook gently for another 5 minutes or until the mixture is quite thick. Stir through the Turkish pepper flakes and half of the parsley. Season to taste.
3. Cook the eggplant: Meanwhile, nestle the eggplants into a frying pan or saucepan with a fitted lid. Add the remaining tomato polpa, a pinch of salt and a good splash of water to the pan. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until the eggplants are soft. Add more water if needed. Gently spoon the filling into the eggplant’s centre. Cook, covered, over low heat for an additional 5 minutes.
4. Make the pickled onion: Combine the remaining onion, a pinch of sugar and a dash of vinegar in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
5. Make the green rice: Place the rice in a bowl and wash well with cold water. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Put the washed rice in the boiling water. Boil for 8 minutes or until cooked through. Stir halfway through to stop the rice from sticking. When cooked strain through a sieve. Return to the saucepan and stir through the butter, spring onions and remaining parsley.
6. To serve: Divide the green rice, stuffed eggplants and pickled onions between the serving plates. Spoon any cooking liquid from the eggplants over the dish. Serve with the garlic dip.