Banh xeo, tofu & mushroom, lettuce, pea tendrils
PLEASE CLICK CENTRE OF IMAGE TO BEGIN VIDEO TUTORIAL.
READY IN: 25 MINS
Banh xeo mix
Nuoc cham (½ of supplied)
Carrot (⅓ of supplied)
Spring onion (⅓ of supplied)
Butter lettuce (⅓ of supplied)
Mint (½ of supplied)
Lemon or lime
YOU’LL NEED: Medium frying pan, chopping board, knife
PANTRY STAPLES: Cooking oil (vegetable or grape seed), vinegar
ALLERGENS: Wheat, gluten, garlic, shellfish/soy (v)
These instructions are to serve 2 people. When cooking for 1, 4 or 6 the same techniques apply but the preparation and cooking times may change slightly.
1. Prepare the ingredients: Wash all the vegetables. Slice the tofu, mushroom and snow peas into thin slices. Slice the carrots and daikon into matchstick-sized pieces. Pick the mint leaves. Slice the spring onions whites thinly on the diagonal. Slice the spring onion greens into long slices. Remove the cheeks of the lemon or lime. Separate the lettuce leaves.
2. Prepare the carrot and daikon mix: Combine the carrot and daikon in a bowl with the nuoc cham. Let rest for 15 minutes to pickle slightly.
3. Cook the tofu and mushrooms: Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the tofu and mushrooms for 5 minutes, or until cooked through and browned slightly.
4. Make the banh xeo: Meanwhile, combine the banh xeo mix with the required amount of water. Heat a large splash of oil in the cleaned frying pan over medium heat. Pour the banh xeo mixture into the pan. Cook for one or 2 minutes or until the base is starting to crisp (do not turn over). Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the cover and increase heat to high. Add the cooked mushroom, tofu, snow peas and the whites of the spring onions and cook for one minute further. Fold the banh xeo in half and slide onto a serving plate. Place some of the pea tendrils and herbs on the inside of the banh xeo.
5. To serve: Serve the banh xeo with the remaining pea tendrils, herbs, lettuce and carrot and daikon mix.
Please mix two part water to one part banh xeo mix.
One person: 80ml
Two people: 160ml
Four people: 320ml
Six people: 480ml